Sunday, July 5, 2009

flash and no cash

I quickly stamped my passport and grabbed my bag from baggage claim. The lines were long but not for Americans, so I managed to get through quickly. As I walked passed customs in a single file line with dozens of other people and headed for the exit, a couple of teenage girls handed me a shiny little flier: Crystal Night Club - Paris Hilton Party. Tickets: $100 VIP, $150 Prestige. "Paris, why are you following me around the world?" I thought to myself, "I don't care to see your skinny, skanky self everywhere I turn." As I walked through the double-doors I was greeted with the largest crowds I had ever seen in an airport arrival terminal. "Welcome to Lebanon!" I thought to myself. "The most beautiful land of flash and no cash."

Three days later I had only seen a sliver of Lebanese society. Four night clubs, three nice restaurants, two beach resorts, and one newly renovated downtown. Valet parking abounds for $3. The majority of conversation is in English. The people are truly a cocktail. I don't even feel like I am in an Arab country.

However, I did see some signs of the Country's poor infrastructure. Many bridges, beaches and power plants were destroyed by the Israelis during their 2006 war on Lebanon. Thus the country is borrowing electricity from Egypt and Syria, and the power is out for 3 hours every day, even in some office buildings. But the power never goes out at the nightclubs. After all, the expatriates, tourists and upper class Lebanese must be satisfied. Dancing at a rooftop club with the Beirut skyline extending along the water as far as the eye could see, my husband leaned over and told me that during the war people danced as missiles lit up the air. The Lebanese never miss a party!

Wednesday Night - Bubbles Rooftop Club


Thursday - La Plage Beach Club. In quintessential Lebanese style, the writing on the wooden planks in the background says: "It is ok for me to have everything I want."

Thursday Night - Sky Bar. Rooftop club, outdoor air-conditioning, reservation only, $25 Belvedere Vodka drinks, beautiful Beirut skyline.

Friday - Riviera Beach Club Party.

Friday Night - Sky Bar Sean Kingston Performance.

1 comment:

osma said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
First name......
Middle name.....
2) Gender:.........
3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
4) Loan Duration:.........
5) Country:.........
6) Home Address:.........
7) Mobile Number:.........
8) Email address..........
9) Monthly Income:.....................
10) Occupation:...........................
11)Which site did you here about us.....................
Thanks and Best Regards.
Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com